Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wings and Things

When I was a kid I was obsessed with flying.

Obsessed.

Not only did I desperately want to fly but I believed that if I tried hard enough I could.

Why not right?

There was no doubt in my mind,
So I set about to my task.

I made a makeshift hang glider out of wood and blue tarp.
(only to jump off the roof of the jeep and twist my ankle.)

I made a contraption out of a towel tied with rope that hung from the porch rafters and suspended myself in it.

Belly in the sling, arms and legs outstretched I swung back and forth for "practice".

I jumped off the barn roof into piles of hay.

One time I even jumped off a 40ft bridge into a flowing river but alas, I never made it into flight, at least not in the way I had dreamed I could.

I may not have flown but I sure as hell had fun trying and I think this is the way I'm cursed (or blessed) to live my life.

Sometimes I set my sights ridiculously high but it's not always about getting what you want, it's about having a good time trying!

No wonder I chose to be an actor!

Trying to succeed as an artist can feel as impossible as trying to fly.

But it's absolutely fun to try!

3 comments:

A. Wolfe said...

dude, two words ----> pilot's license

go after the dream

Shakti said...

Totally! One day...

krista said...

and i'm the struggling actress (although i'm not struggling a whole lot considering i'm not in pursuit of it right now) afraid of heights.
maybe if i focused on flying more and not falling.
this is a good reminder.
thank you.