Friday, April 17, 2009

Notice:

Come to find out, meditation is not necessarily about clearing your mind of all thoughts but rather noticing the thoughts as they come and go. The practice of noticing, checking in, coming back to something like the breath. I'm beginning to see my artistic life in a similar way.

As an artist I am constantly questioning and redefining my identity. Noticing where I am and continuing to deepen and expand whatever work I'm doing whether it be an acting project, a new painting or a piece of writing.

Moving forward, staying awake. Eyes open, ears pricked, mind alert and heart expanding.

The teachers in the school of life are sometimes difficult to identify. They're all around but every once in awhile we dreamers and creators must be our own teachers too. We have to set our own standards and continue to ask what are we doing and why?

Today, this is where I'm at. Add your thoughts to the list and perhaps we can learn something from each other.

My rules as of this moment:
  • Have something to say. If the impulse is there but the purpose is unclear work towards specificity.
  • Do everything possible to open and expand the mind.
  • Read.
  • Find role models and note the specific reasons you admire them and the specific reasons you don't.
  • Be willing to compromise but only to a point.
  • Develop artistic integrity, don't be afraid to say no.
  • Keep money separate. Money motivated art is likely to be shit.
  • Daily practice. Do/make some art every day.
  • Allow yourself to be moved as much as possible and wonder at the beauty of your heart.
  • Make room for the simultaneous existence of genius, mistakes, perfection and shit.
  • Daydream, nightdream, fantasize and actualize.
  • Ask lots of questions.
  • Yes, people are judging you. Sit with that.
  • Re-write these rules as often as possible.

1 comment:

Shakti said...

I'm re-reading Mamet's book "True and False" and I'm already changing my list again! Love that. Life is a trip. "The" trip I guess. :)